I just heard the disturbing details of their "mating" habits. There are details on Wikipedia, but I liked the gory detail in a response I found on Yahoo Answers:
Once the male has sniffed out a female he swims up and, in a shocking bit of sadism, clamps down on her with an unshakable bite. The fish has evolved tooth-like plates in his upper and lower jaw for this purpose, and once he sinks them into a chosen female, he stays put. [...] the male anglerfish doesn’t let go. Ever again. FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.Yikes.
[...]
Not so fast. [...] As soon as the male attaches himself to his mate, she begins to slowly absorb him (men, this part may sound familiar). Eventually, his lips grow into the skin of her side, his mouth and eyes disappear, his circulatory system ties itself to hers and he becomes a permanent appendage, dependent on her for food, protection, and a ride. He becomes little more than a reproductive organ, the sex act his only purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment